There was a time when anything skin-care or grooming related would smell like either your mom’s purse or your dad’s shoes. But like fashion designers, makers of beauty and skin-care lines have changed gears and now market tons of products to men and the unisex set.
Gay men can take advantage of the best of both worlds. We always need a good cleanser and shaving cream, but also often want a flawless concealer and quality nail polish. January is probably the most important time to take care of yourself from head to toe, so here are some products that will take you from ashy to classy.
I chose my favourite skin-care and hair products (you’ll notice there are no hair gels. Gents, please stop using it, even if the wet look comes back). Some are quick and easy to use, some are perfect to use for a night out, and some, to be honest, I haven’t tried yet but look cool and smell great. Being Asian and in my early 30s, I haven’t felt like I’ve had to find the perfect products to reverse the aging process just yet. But I know it might happen overnight and one day I’ll look 100, so preventative measures should probably start now.
1. Comfort Zone body butter, $98 Big bottle, big price, but this spa-worthy moisturizer is a must in this dry, windy city. bodespa.com
2. Elizabeth Grant Homme moisturizer, $60 Contains prickly-pear extract and aloe, yum. elizabethgrant.com
3. MAC Prep + Prime Beauty Balm, $36.50 The Asian sensation is finally available in Canada, and with SPF 35 defence! For boys who are into makeup, this is a great primer. maccosmetics.com
4. Timex watch, $75 nomadshop.net
5. Botot mouthwash, $19.50 This all-natural mouthwash was made originally for King Louis XV of France. All you need are a couple of drops added to warm water before or after brushing. Pretty bottle, too! jacobandsebastian.com
6. Oxygen Pur serum, $80 This ideal quencher for thirsty skin will shave a couple years off your face. oxygenpur.com
7. Dermalogica daily defense SPF15, $46 Apply after shaving; won’t leave you shiny. dermalogica.ca
8. Umbra U-lens contact lens case, $5 umbra.com
9. Kiehl’s facial fuel cleanser, $21.50 This skincare staple, formulated with caffeine, menthol and vitamin E, gives real good face. kiehls.ca
10. Kiehl’s Eye Alert, $32 Damage control for the eye area after a long night out or a midnight flight. kiehls.ca
11. Kiehl’s Crème de Corps. $87 (1L) Use all over your body to fight your dry January skin. kiehls.ca
12. Burt’s Bees lip balm, $4.49 burtsbees.ca
13. Kevin Murphy night rider, $22 Provides a tough, textured hold for short hair styles. kevinmurphy.com
14. Swedish Dream sea-salt soap, $6 Sea salts are an age-old tonic for winter-beaten skin. Smells just lovely, too. westelm.com
15. Izola soap dish, $20 westelm.com
16. Dermalogica daily microfoliant, $72 A daily exfoliant is the best way to get great-looking skin. This one from Dermalogica makes your skin feel incredible. dermalogica.ca
17. Dermalogica close shave oil, $26 The shave of it all! Use a wee bit to avoid nicks and cuts. dermalogica.ca
18. Aveda light elements shaping wax, $30 This wax will keep your coif in check and protect your hair from UV damage. aveda.com
19. Aveda Control Force hair spray, $34 My favourite thing about this spray? Humidity defence. For boys who blow out their pompadours. aveda.com
20. Sam’s down there repair, $8.95 Well, ya. westelm.com
21. Essie nail polish, $9.99 In midnight and licorice. Nothing sexier than dark nail polish on the right guy. Sometimes you just feel black and blue. essie.com
22. MAC Viva Glam Ricky (Martin) lip conditioner, $18 Guy gloss with a cause: every cent goes toward helping those living with HIV. maccosmetics.com
23. Arrid extra dry anti-perspirant, $4.49 Try using this on your feet when sporting the no-sock look. arid.com
24. Izola green moss scented candle, $35 Scented candles are much more man-friendly these days. westelm.com
25. MAC Cosmetics mineralize concealer (tube), $24 For unwelcome blemishes. Whether you’re into wearing makeup or not, it’s always good to have a concealer on standby. maccosmetics.com
26. MAC studio fix powder plus foundation (compact), $32 Think of it as touch-up paint for your face and body. I swear by this. maccosmetics.com
27. MAC cosmetics wipes, $24 Erase last night’s party off your face or use these Vitaman E–infused wipes for a quick freshening up. maccosmetics.com
* Photos by the lovely May Truong
Comment has successfully been submitted.
Comment has been rated as Spam and can't be shown.
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for FAB moderators to take action.
Thank you. This comment has been flagged for moderator attention.