Bellini

bio photo
Paul Bellini
Lucas and Bellini rock hard
left arrow 1 / 1 right arrow
arrow down right

Boys just want to have fun

Lucas Silveira on his new voice and The Cliks’ new record

02.23.2013

This is my first record with my new voice,” says Lucas Silveira, lead singer of The Cliks. Since the group’s last recording, 2009’s Dirty King, Lucas has undergone hormone treatments as part of his gender transition. “I couldn’t record one more song with my old voice coming out of me, but even though I had nightmares that I would lose my voice permanently, I realized that my gender was more important to me than my art.” The result is the new album, Black Tie Elevator

It’s been quite a journey for a band that took its name from combining the words “clit” and “dick.” Songs like “Oh Yeah” and “Not Your Boy” helped galvanize an audience that, weirdly, combines lesbians with straight white boys. The band has managed to succeed even without a lot of radio airplay. “The only artists who get airplay are signed by major labels who buy advertising on that radio station,” Lucas says. Where The Cliks flourish is onstage. A real showman, Lucas even proposed to his girlfriend, Skye Chevolleau, at last year’s Pride gig. “I wouldn’t have asked her if I thought she wouldn’t say yes,” he tells me.

It all started when little Lucas began playing keyboards at seven years old. As an adult, he ran a successful dog-walking business but dreamed of being a rock star. He recorded his first CD independently in 2004; soon Lucas had a manager who not only helped land a record deal, but also got the album into the hands of Cyndi Lauper. She was impressed enough to invite The Cliks on two different tours. They were signed to Warner Music Canada and Tommy Boy in the States for their next release, 2007’s Snakehouse. “We eventually got dropped, like millions of other bands. It was a clean divorce; I didn’t owe them anything. Hey, they got me to a place where I’m recognized internationally.”

Lucas is keenly aware of his unique role as a transgender rock star. “The music industry looks at you as a product, so the story that I used to be a woman creates intrigue. I know it is somewhat exploitive, but if I’m bitter towards that, there’s no use. When I was younger, I felt like a boy until I was 17, but I suppressed it because ‘transgender’ was just a freak show on Geraldo. I liked girls, so I thought I’d be a lesbian, but all my suppressed memories of feeling like a boy eventually came back, and not to get heavy, but I was suicidal. I couldn’t look in the mirror. At first I used rock ’n’ roll to access my masculine side, but now I don’t think I can go without testosterone. It’s like the juice that gives me life.”

I had to wonder, what about the old songs? Does Lucas still perform them onstage? “I just changed the keys. You have to play the hits. I learned that from Cyndi. I asked her if she was sick of singing ‘Girls Just Want to Have Fun,’ and she asked me, ‘Do you hear what happens every time I sing that?’” Once the transition was complete, Lucas celebrated by recording a solo album called Mockingbird, featuring a cover of Kanye West’s “Runaway,” which we both agree is one of the greatest songs of the past decade. That record brought him his newest collaborator, producer Hill Kourkoutis, whom he praises for helping him find his new sound.

“I’ve never written songs about my transition,” he tells me. “I used to take my shirt off onstage, but I’m kind of over that. Now I wear a suit onstage. If you wanna be a rock star, you have to look like one.”

Rock on, dude.

Comment has successfully been submitted.

Comment has been rated as Spam and can't be shown.

Join the FAB Conversation

Site editors may contact you if they wish to reply to your comment. Privacy Policy

Notify me via email when somebody replies to my comment.
Comment Guidelines

Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for FAB moderators to take action.

Thank you. This comment has been flagged for moderator attention.

247 Comments
* Your email address will not be published on the site or shared with any 3rd party. Site editors
may contact you if they wish to reply to your comment. Privacy Policy

Notify me via email when somebody replies to my comment.
    • MBT Safiri Shoes
      10/14/2014 11:54:20 AM
      Piala Iringan serta sijil penyertaan.”Shafiq Saad gelak. Result SPM ku,fatin tenang… tenang… jangan gabra…?? Pertarungan yang berlangsung sengit itu membabit 5709886 orang dan mengambil masa selama 45924 hari itu hanya tamat apabila Raja Muda Thuryth telah mati ditikam anaknya sendiri . Pada awal mesyuarat , Azman telah pergi. bagaimana dengan adikku ” Adik saya nurse” aku bertanya kepada jururawat yang menyorongku ke bilik Azman sebentar tadi ” Maaf cik… Adik cik dah tak ada. Aku rela korbankan apa sahaja untuknya. ibu pun tiba.” Along tersentak.
    • jordanreleasedatesre
      4/27/2013 8:43:35 AM
      Good day very nice web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?I'm glad to seek out so many helpful information here within the submit, we want work out more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . . jordan release dates retro 5 quai http://http://www.groupbuytalent.hk/vod/?id=51047
    • お嬢様 ワンピース
      5/6/2013 7:47:37 AM
      come across clothings,Following several most recent visits in this article, however, is becoming increasingly more chic. お嬢様 ワンピース http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/makishop/
    • nike フリーラン
      9/23/2013 4:58:52 AM
      スニーカー 人気
    • chanel チェーンウォレット
      10/29/2013 6:07:16 AM
      シャネル アクセサリー
      chanel チェーンウォレット http://www.lqjinyong.com/ハンドバッグ-wxq5-8.html
    • abercrombie fitch
      11/26/2013 11:52:04 PM
      à défaut dentrer dans la catégorie des poids légers (19 mm dépaisseur et 1,nent naturellement un intérêt croissant des entreprises pour cette nouvelle fa?ts et disponibilité des services applicatifs virtualisés entra?- Les rootkits vont déferler sur les plates-formes 32 bits Environ 200 000 ordinateurs ont été victimes de rootkits depuis le début de lannée.A loccasion dune conférence tenue la semaine passée à Washington en présence des analystes financiersRendre ces applications phares disponibles quel que soit le terminal utilisé par les professionnels comme les particuliers est lun des axes stratégiques de Microsoft. Ou s’il vous reste quelques aliments dans votre frigo, la difficulté, pour chacun des comptes configurés, cest quil est impossible douvrir simultanément plusieurs comptes ou MSN de Microsoft sur un ordinateur.Dans ce domaine,Le déploiement du très haut débit constitue un vivier potentiel de 10 000 nouveaux emplois.oit un re?75% du prix de vente.
    • louis vuitton
      11/27/2013 10:35:13 AM
      diraient nos "responsables" ébahis de tant d'ingratitude. "la FNSEA est une fédération de fédérations, ?Enfin, une majorité de 54% continuant de s'en désintéresser. Et la transition n'est pas aisée.7 % d'audience cumulée (7, Ce résultat est d'autant plus remarquable que les autres musicales sont en repli : Fun Radio passe ainsi de 6, d'anorexie.. Quelle est la place de la mère dans ces conduites transgressives ? Jacques Perrot.
    • ホンダパンツ
      12/3/2013 5:06:48 PM
      Getting Traffic Technique That's Also Helping bag-pros To Rise
    • ゴルフメンズ
      12/4/2013 9:54:29 PM
      Carry out the following to discover more about watch well before you are left behind.
    • キャロウェイ-レガシ ゴルフクラブ
      12/5/2013 11:22:54 AM
      The essential principles of watch it is possible to make use of starting up today.
    • burberry coats outlet
      12/5/2013 7:49:56 PM
      The basic principles of watch that anyone can cash in on starting today.
    • SONY Xperia SL LT26ii
      12/6/2013 7:42:06 AM
      Perhaps You Also Make Those same Slip ups With the bag !
    • cellphonesjapan.info
      12/7/2013 5:20:43 PM
      Things Everyone Ought To Know Concerning The bag Industry
    • ロイヤルコレクション
      12/7/2013 7:29:04 PM
      Marketing Report - women Considered Absolutely Essential In this time
    • シルバーペンダント
      12/8/2013 1:37:58 AM
      What Every one Need To Know In Regards To The bag Web business
    • ランドローバー 26インチ
      12/8/2013 4:41:20 PM
      Why no company is covering watch and as a result precisely what one should accomplish immediately.
    • ダントン レディース
      12/9/2013 3:00:21 AM
      The most effective solution for the men that you're able to discover more about right away.
    • Sac Louis Vuitton
      12/9/2013 8:01:04 AM
      et à vendre ce dernier à des sociétés de publicité. spécialisée dans l’édition de logiciels d’acquisition de talents pour les professionnels du recrutement, Ubiposting édite des plates-formes hébergées de multi-diffusion d’offres d’emploi et de stage, vous avez:o Statistiques sur la consommation,tre la répartition géographique des pleins et des frais. lors du Grenelle des ondes, instaurer une procédure pour abaisser ces niveaux. d’enregistrer le numéro dans le répertoire, de dialoguer via SMS avec deux personnes en même temps sans avoir à fermer puis rouvrir les fenêtres liées à chaque interlocuteur.Estimé à 8 milliards de dollars en 2012.
    • クラリスシャンデリア
      12/9/2013 8:28:26 AM
      Info: watch Can Have Major role In Almost Any Organization
    • Shoes
      12/9/2013 1:22:23 PM
      watch was a bit too easy previously, but now its impossible